How cool is this? I just checked my post box at lunch and I won a prize from the Sci Fi channel! An A Team/TV1 tote bag and a Heroes t-shirt. The back of the shirt has the Heroes and Sci Fi channel logo.
I stuffed up at one point and had to undo several rows of stitches. I was a bit worried about this as I've never undone before. But it worked out OK. I managed to get all the stitches back on and work out what the problem was and fix it.
The main reason I want to get better at knitting is so I can make myself a nice Aran jumper. I had one that my Nan made me when I was younger but it got washed incorrectly and ended up just being big enough for a small teddy bear.
So I found this pattern in a knitting magazine that I thought would make a nice practice piece. I've never followed a pattern before, so I thought I'd start with something that is more complicated than a scraf but not as difficult as a full jumper.
It's a cushion cover. I had to restart the damn thing 4 times until I realised that the pattern was wrong by two stitches on the caston and that's why it was going wonky!!
I'm using 100% wool that they have really cheap at my supermarket. Good enough for practicing with. This is about 8 hrs (I wasn't really keeping too much track of the time).
On ANZAC Day, Leoba came over and we worked some more on the banner project. We managed to get 8 banners traced out ready for painting.
This is what the banners look like once we've traced the pattern onto them. Next we do painting.
Clare and Leoba came over last night to start the banner project with me. We are making a set of hanging to use at events to help add some colour. The first set will be based on the Manesse Codex, or Große Heidelberger Liederhandschrift, a 14th Century manuscript.
Cleo is blurry as she is attacking the edge of the fabric.
I worked on some heraldic banners to use at events. I also made some homemade tomato sauce. I'd run out of the last batch. It tastes pretty good.
I was putting the embroidery on the bed to get a photo. Cleopatra was helping.I haven't got any embroidery going at the moment so I did a few half square triangles for my 1930's quilt. I also spent all of the today getting my car checked for a road worthy. And just for fun I found out that someone had racked up $1500 on my credit cards which means I now don't have them money to pay to register my car, which also needs to have rust fixed before I can get a pink slip. Fun!
Here is a side by side comparison of the original slip and my version. I think mine turned out OK. Slight differences in the colours, but that is due to both age and my colour choices. My work isn't as fine on some of the details.
Well, all the embroidery is done. The acorns are a bit angular but that can't be helped sometimes. I introduced two new shades of green with the acorns, it needed something to break the rest of the green up. I think it worked. Now for the not so fun bit, sewing it to the ground fabric and starting the couching work.
Someone has contacted me requesting help identifying the possible origin of this piece of embroidery and a possible date for its working. I have my theory but I'd like to see what other people think. Please leave comments with your theory, (with citations of possible sources to support your theory if you have them). If you know of similar pieces I'd love to hear about them!The roundal is about 8 inches in diameter and appears to be some sort of pattern darning. You can see very good detail in the last two images if you click on them.